How can I become an Umpire?
Most people’s experience of umpiring is checking and recording the score at a league match or a club game. Is this all that umpiring is about? After all, it does not look a very fulfilling or enjoyable experience – boring almost. Let’s look at some of the things involved in being an umpire and you judge.
- to prepare the playing area for the match to ensure players are correctly equipped for the match
- to ensure the correct observance of the rules
- to ensure compliance with the rules concerning behaviour
- to observe and rule upon the correct delivery of stones
- adjudicate scoring decisions and ensure correct recording of scores
- understand and apply the rules of the game.
This list is not exhaustive but does demonstrate the importance of the umpires’ role in the successful staging of a match. New Age Kurling needs officials to make it function properly.
Your involvement as an umpire will be fulfilling and rewarding, not just for yourself but for the players and spectators, and should repay your investment of time and energy.
We can give you the knowledge and assist you in building your umpiring skills then support you to ascend the umpiring ladder.
There are 3 levels of umpiring qualification and each level consists of 3 steps:
- An examination based on the Rules of Kurling and the Duties of an Umpire. We will provide you with the documentation required to answer the examination paper.
- A short training course where we will teach you the skills needed to be an umpire.
- An assessment of your umpiring skills is then done at the end of the training course.
For further details write to: Secretary by sending an email to the email@example.com